Batter mixed up
After being baked & cooling
Chocolate Cake Cookie Sandwiches
Source: Heather Drive
1 package chocolate cake mix
1 egg, at room temperature
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 tsp milk
1. To make cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with wax paper.
2. In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, egg, & butter. Beat on low speed until just combined & all ingredients have been incorporated.
3. Roll the dough into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls, place on the prepared baking sheets & press down to slightly flatten. (I did not do this, I just used my cookie scoop & tried to get as many equal sizes as possible.)
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
5. To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the powdered sugar, & beat until incorporated. Add vanilla extract & beat on medium speed until fully incorporated. Add 2 tablespoons of milk & beat on medium-high speed until smooth. If the frosting is too thick, add the remaining tablespoon of milk & beat until incorporated. (I do not have a stand mixer so I just mixed mine together with a spoon...maybe that's why it didn't come out right.)
6. To assemble, pair the cookies based on size on a work surface. Frost the flat side of one cookie from each pair. Place the other cookie of each pair on top of the frosting, flat side down. Lightly press down so that the frosting reaches the edges of the cookies.
7. To decorate, place sprinkles in a small bowl. Dip the sides of each cookie in the sprinkles, pressing down gently & rotating to cover the sides completely.
How they are supposed to look